I was really excited to try out a more natural deodorant. After learning about the toxic ingredients in our underarm products I really wanted to make a switch. Some ingredients I’ve trying to avoid:
1. Aluminum, and other metals: These block pores and don’t allow us to sweat. Sweating is natural and helps us regular our body temperature and rid ourselves of the toxins we are exposed to in every day living. Why would we want to keep that in? The times I didn’t want to sweat: Prom, My Wedding, in front of my Ex (but I mean who can predict that right?) that’s about it. Aluminum is also associated with messing with our estrogen, breast cancer/prostate cancer, and Alzheimer’s.
2. Parabens: a preservative that mimics estrogen, once again leading to cancers. Parabens are said to cause early puberty and breast tumors. I like my breasts the way they are thank you.
3. Propylene glycol: causes damage to our central nervous system, liver, heart, and skin. Apparently this toxin is also in some natural products as well. Scary.
4. Triclosan: pesticide used as an antibacterial agent and preservative. Oh and every time you put this stuff on your body, and take a shower (if you don’t have well/spring water) it becomes a chloroform gas, carcinogenic. Also a BIG no-no if you are breast feeding.
So, with this information I went shopping at my local co-op, which usually carries pretty natural products. I immediate wanted to try Tom’s Of Maine, because I have always loved this brand. They only had one scent left at the time, so I grabbed it off the shelf without a second thought. I’ve been using it for about 2 months now.
1. It’s rated as a 3 in the EWG’s Skin Deep Data Base. A three is alright, not ideal, but still ok. The reason it’s rated so high is the fragrance, which rates a WHOPPING 8! It’s rated so high because of risks for allergies, irritations(skin, eyes, lungs), and organ system toxicity. But what the EWG is concerned about in this product is the fact that Tom’s has “Fragrance” on their label, which could mean ANYTHING. According to EWG: “About FRAGRANCE: The word “fragrance” or “parfum” on the product label represents an undisclosed mixture of various scent chemicals and ingredients used as fragrance dispersants such as diethyl phthalate. Fragrance mixes have been associated with allergies, dermatitis, respiratory distress and potential effects on the reproductive system.” So in other words: sneaky.
2. It does a really, really bad job. It smells good, but it doesn’t keep the BO down. Lucky for me I don’t really sweat much, I’m usually FREEZING all day long, so that helps. But going to the gym? Forget it. That is all a deodorant is good for… so really what is left to say right?
1. It’s a nice smelling product… and the tube will be useful for when I make my own deodorant… yup.
So all and all, it didn’t work for me.
Queen Helene was never a brand I gave a lot of thought to growing up, in terms of just how awesome a line it is. I use to love their Masks ❤ in middle and high school. But by the time I hit college I somehow stopped using these. I’m glad I did now due to their higher rating on the EWG scale, which is such a shame because I see these in natural food stores ALL the time. But even knowing this I grabbed a stick of this Aloe scented deodorant out of desperation.
I love it. I don’t want to love it, but I do. No Aluminum, Proplene Glycol or Parabens. Off to a great start!
The other ingredients worry me a little, but because they ALL seem to be chemicals and there is no information on them in the EWG database. I guess however this is a much better alternative to Tom’s and I shouldn’t complain TOO hard because I’m too lazy to make my own deodorant right now.